Bond set for Tech student in bottle case

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/12/05
Bond was set this morning for Theodore Hollot, the alleged Georgia Tech bottle bomber, at a brief hearing at the Fulton County Jail Magistrate Court.

Judge Roy Roberts set bond for $15,000 on charges of reckless conduct, a misdemeanor, and possession of an explosive device, a felony. An arraignment hearing was scheduled for Oct. 19 in Fulton Superior Court.

Roberts ordered the 18-year-old freshman to stay away from the Tech campus during the time of his suspension from classes.

Hollot, who told the judge he was unemployed, confessed Tuesday to setting explosive water bottles in a campus courtyard, school officials said. A nuclear and radiological engineering major from Pennsylvania, he turned himself in to Georgia Tech police Tuesday morning and was suspended from school pending the investigation, said Georgia Tech Assistant Vice President Amelia Gambino.

“This was not a terroristic attack,” Gambino said.

Students who know Hollot described the long-haired student as clever and friendly, a teen who earned Eagle Scout rank while in high school.

In Hollot’s online blog on, he joked Saturday about needing “more dry ice and more water bottles.” Monday night, he described his mood as “terrible beyond belief.”

Freshman Lindsay DiRito, 18, said Hollot is “goofy and funny” and said she thinks he likely placed the bottles as a prank.

“He seems like a good kid,” she said. “I don’t think this was meant to be malicious at all.”

Tech evacuated two dorms Monday morning after a plastic water bottle exploded in a campus custodian’s hands.

The employee, who complained of ringing in his ears, was taken to a clinic for evaluation, but was not seriously injured.

The Atlanta police bomb disposal squad detonated two other suspicious bottles found in the area.

Hollot lived on the second floor of one of the evacuated residence halls. He was in class at the time of the explosion, police said.

Around 100 freshmen from Glenn and Cloudman dorms on Techwood Drive, some still in pajamas, were told to evacuate shortly before 9 a.m.

An “all clear” was announced shortly after noon, and students were allowed to return to the dorms.

The contents of the bottle explosives have not been determined and are still under investigation, school officials said.

Posted by loni on 10/12 at 01:51 PM in Justice / Injustice

The trackback URL for this entry is: M20o93H7pQ09L8X1t49cHY01Z5j4TT91fGfr


M30o93H7pQ09L8X1t49cHY01Z5j4TT91fGfr M40o93H7pQ09L8X1t49cHY01Z5j4TT91fGfr


M50o93H7pQ09L8X1t49cHY01Z5j4TT91fGfr M60o93H7pQ09L8X1t49cHY01Z5j4TT91fGfr M70o93H7pQ09L8X1t49cHY01Z5j4TT91fGfr
M80o93H7pQ09L8X1t49cHY01Z5j4TT91fGfr M90o93H7pQ09L8X1t49cHY01Z5j4TT91fGfr

<< Back to main